The Salty Chip Blog

A social space to learn more about the Canadian Multiliteracies Collaborative

By

Constructing Meaning: Teaching the Language Arts K-8

This revised edition of Constructing Meaning is founded in a commitment to helping educators expand learners’ communication and identity options through multiliteracies curriculum and pedagogies. Tailored for Canadian contexts, the book focuses on how multiple modes and media may be taught, learned,, and valued by diverse student populations in ways that foster the critically reflective discernment of professional educators. Capitalizing on a strong Canadian research base complemented by international scholars, Constructing Meaning offers detailed understandings and illustrations of learners’ reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing, and representing practices, grade-appropriate book lists, illustrations of teaching/learning in action, and wisdom from practicing educators.

This book, co-authored by Joyce Bainbridge (Emeritus, University of Alberta) and Rachel Heydon (University of Western Ontario) includes a final chapter on “Multiliteracies -in-use” that I wrote. In it, I have featured some wonderful teachers that I have been able to get to know over the years including Geraldine Van de Kleut, Zoe Branigan-Pipe, Ben Hazzard, Rodd Lucier and others. Many names from my Twitter community (e.g., Colin Jago, George and Alec Couros) are there. A number of people that I met at a TEDx OntarioED event are featured (e.g., Jesse James, Common Craft). It is nice to be part of a Canadian text so well received that it is in its fifth edition! Check it out!

One Response to Constructing Meaning: Teaching the Language Arts K-8